Just as your houseplants (hopefully) get fertilizer to help them grow, so too do dinoflagellates have nutritional needs. Dinoflagellates require nitrate, phosphate, trace metals, and vitamins. Growth medium is sterile, so if don't have an autoclave available, it is easier to buy already prepared media than to make your own.
- Carolina Biological Supply Co. [800-547-1733 for western U.S. or 800-334-5551 for Eastern U.S.]
- Alga-Gro seawater medium "for culturing marine algae"
Carolina Biological #15-3754, $10 per quart.
This is a complete ready-to-go solution. Just add dinoflagellates.
- Alga-Gro concentrated medium "enrichment for seawater"
Carolina Biological #15-3750, 12 tubes $10 (each tube makes 1 liter)
This enrichment is added to filtered seawater.
- Sigma-Aldrich Co. [800-325-3010 for USA/Canada, 314-771-5750 outside USA/Canada (call collect)], www.sigmaaldrich.com
- Guillard's (f/2) marine enrichment basal salt mixture without silicate
"With the macro- and micronutrients as described by Guillard (1975)."
Sigma #G1775, price $14.80 (USD) for 10 L.
This is a complete ready-to-go solution. Just add dinoflagellates!
- Do-your-own culture media (for the brave only, requires sensitive balance and autoclave for sterilization).
Refer to recipes at the web site of the Provasoli-Guillard Center for the Culture of Marine Phytoplankton.